ChANO 2... THE RETURN (or Electric Boogaloo)

Photobucket

And there we were. 14 guys taking pot shots at each other with foam projectiles on the University of Chicago campus. This was nerf war, this was ChANO... 2 (Chicago Area Nerf Out... 2)!

Once again hosted by Ice Nine and Zorn's Lemma, this would mark the final ChANO on the U of C grounds, as classes were finishing up and Ice Nine'd be making his way to the west coast. Starting at 10 AM, the foam was primed and we were ready to continue this madness with a bang. From a +bow.

The day's events included a few things... like running.
Photobucket

Game types included Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Wingman, Defend the Core, Capture the Flag, and pistols-only rounds. Luckily, the chill from the previous ChANO had gone, and the wind was pretty still.

Highlights included one gent, Daniel Beaver taking the free-for-all round armed only with 2 nitefinders. Later in the day he would use only an Arrowstorm during a round. Ryan#s and Ice9 cemented the mythology surrounding +bows, especially Ryan seeing as how he tagged me seeking cover behind a barricade from a good distance away. Cripes.

- Snake managed to get a few blocks with a crossfire shield, demonstrating that yes, Virginia there is something besides a Manta you can use. To be fair, Crossfire shields are only allowed depending on the war. Maybe in Chicago, we can start the trend.

- Living the "It's away!" dream when I used my longshot/rocket storm integration to bust the core wide open when Team Caution was on assault during Defend the Core.

- The Vulcan? Still not building a case that it's proper for the battlefield.

- The wildfire's "Loud as hell" and pretty good for keeping people away from the core.

- "Indiana Jones" moment reaching for my sidearm and finding it fell out of my holster.

- THE XXL BAZOOKA WAS USED IN BATTLE.

- I even spent a round wearing a clone trooper helmet, defending the honor of the Republic.


Alright, let's look at some things that I learned over the course of the day-

* Zig-zag running, very important if you're not speedy. Probably would have helped in the aforementioned shot I took from Ryan.

* I knew this was a bad idea, but for one round I was packin' a spider-man wrist blaster, the XXL Bazooka, and my blastfire. Too many cooks in the broth, and it was hard to keep everything loaded not misfire the spider-man blaster when reaching for my blastfire and vice versa. 2 at most when going into a fight, unless you're packing pocket blasters.

* I think I need to weight my darts more, my accuracy will thank me.

* Beaver and Snake I think got into a pretty decent discussion about the necessity of sidearms. If you're good with your primary, you really don't need it. Even Zorn admitted his NF was only there to take up space. After my 3 gun round experiment, I agree.

* OBSTACLES ARE NICE. I need to rework the legs on mine, but I've got pieces to make some more, and this definitely needs looking into.

Anyway, that's a good bit of what she wrote. 'Til next time... keep your barrels loaded, Space Cowboy.

Labels: